I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Ettiene De Grellet

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One Step Forward Two Steps Backwards

Well to say I am a bit discouraged is an understatement! The good news is that three of the four fractures are healed and doing extremely well! The bad news is that the fracture that is directly on top of my tibia--closest to the skin--thus lacking in blood flow--is not viable. In other words it is dead. :( This is part of the bone that actually broke through the skin and where the infections took hold. We knew this was a possibility but were hoping we would not have to go down this road! I had been exceeding all the medical people's expectations so I was not prepared to hear this news! So, how to fix this--more surgery. I will have bone removed from my hip bone (the thought of this alone makes my stomach churn) it will be ground up and have what mom refers to as "Elmer Glue" for the bones added to my own bone and then grafted into the fracture site. On the upside are a couple of things:
  1. My doctor is going to deal with my overly tight Achilles Tendon in the same surgery.
  2. A big wig doctor who is part of the company who makes and distributes the Taylor-Spacial Frame is coming up to help with the surgery.
  3. The big wig doctor's company is paying for his services--so much of the surgeon costs will be paid for.
  4. What are a few more scars on your leg when ya got this many anyway! :)
  5. I won't have to wear a scarf around my foot attached to the frame to keep my foot in a dorsal flexed position (90 degree angle).
  6. More down time to knit
  7. A walking cast is in my future in the next two to three months--how lucky I will be that summer's hottest days will be over when I get to wear it! :)
Sadly there are down sides to my positives--I will "get" to have the already huge frame on my leg extended to my foot--more pins, rods and do-hickeys that will assist in the lengthening of my dang Achilles. I will also have to have work done to my Achilles and/or the muscles it is attached to make sure it lengthens with out ripping apart. The biggest bummer of it all is that I was hoping to be home in Auburn in August. The earliest time the surgery can be scheduled is mid August and if it can't be done then it will have to wait until September. Scheduling two doctors with busy schedules and the busy hospital operating rooms will be challenging! After the surgery I will be in the dang contraption for 6-8 weeks more--both good and bad. As my dear friend Sacha Coughran stated, "6-8 weeks--you can handle that! It is not as if it will be another 6 months!" I am still bummed about the 6-8 weeks but I don't really have a choice in the matter--so I will muddle through!

2 comments:

  1. Hey there! Congrats on the blog! I keep thinking I'll start one, but I can barely keep up with email! HA!

    Sorry about the bad news portion, but hey... look on the bright side: 1) you can start a knitting blog soon and teach those of us who aren't able to join in how to do so :) 2) you can open a web-store and sell all the wonderful things you'll have time to knit! ;)

    Seriously... I'm thinking good thoughts down South for my friend up North!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I already left a comment. Did they not take it? See I am so backwards on the computer.
    Any way I love the blog and will make it my book mark..

    Doug will see you soon, Do not let him touch you!@#@$

    jan

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner