I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Ettiene De Grellet

Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Plan B

So, we are onto Plan B. Which is a series of surgeries. To my relief I finally have a date and time for the first of the two surgeries. The fist surgery will be on September 25th at 1pm. This surgery will involve putting a nail/wire wrapped in cement (the kind used in hip replacements) that is then impregnated w/antibiotics. This nail will go through the main shaft of the bone, Medullary cavity to be exact, so that the antibiotics will leach out from the center killing off any thing and every thing that is not healthy to the bone. I am thrilled to report that I get to go off all anti-biotic medication for 5 days prior to surgery. This is in hopes I "grow" something and when they take cultures from the bone the doctors will know exactly what to hit it with. In any case I am very excited to be off the "leash" of the anti-biotics. The bummer of the deal is that the nail is not made to be weight bearing so I will be off my right leg for three whole weeks. On the up side is that I will not be lugging all the weight of the Taylor-Spacial-Frame. It will be removed an an Izzie frame will be holding my leg in line--a couple of half pins at my knee and ankle with a bar connecting the two.

The second of the two surgeries is a lot simpler. It is very basic infact, just taking all the hardware put in the 1st surgery and then putting a rod/nail that is permanet. The permanet device will actually be quite similar to the original rod/nail put into me in Mexico--can you get more ironic than that? I suppose I will be non-weight bearing for a few weeks but after that I am with surgery. I won't be a runner but I have yet to meet a chesty gal who is so no tears lost there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner