I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Ettiene De Grellet

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Latest Surgery Update

Checked in w/the doc on Friday. Looks like the surgery will be longer than expected b/c the pins and wires around my ankle are all loose which is the cause of my pain. In addition I had a minor pin site infection. The doctor was not concerned about a reoccurance of the staph infections--Thank God!!! He said my skin graft looked great and that is where there would be indication of the infection bubbling up--what a lovely thought that I wish I never heard! Another thing I did not want to hear was that all my leg surgeries are considered "Leg Salvage Surgeries," again not a pleasnt thought! The good news is that after one dose of the anti-biotic my ankle looked a million times better! Dr. Taranow also gave me some new pain medication that is helping a lot--but when it wears of it is instantanious pain. I don't even need to look at the clock to b/c it is always 8 hours on the dot that the pain comes back--on the up side (I think) it is a good alarm clock. Another plus is that my surgery is not scheduled for really early in the morning. I don't have to be at the hospital until 11:30am and the actual surgery is 1:20pm. Dr. Taranow laughed when I said I would be up before the sun was up for surgery--"You can be at the hospital that early but we won't be doing surgery until 1:20pm anyway!" Good thing I complained about the time! So I will be at St. Joes if you want to check in on me and find out what room I am in. I also learned you can send me emails or you can send me a "Cheer Card" who would have thought! So, if you are interested please do so! I would love to get a note to make me giggle since I will be in the hospital for 2-5 days. Oh, and if you send me flowers please note I am highly allergic to roses--besideds they are over rated anyway! I have to admit I am more excited than aprehensive about this surgery! I will update the blog no later than Tuesday--so check in again!
TTFN,
Lara

3 comments:

  1. At this time tomorrow, this surgery stuff will be behind you. Sounds like you have the best guys in the business to do the job, and we all will knit and wait to hear the good news.

    There will be an end to this. It will get better. I'm thinking ahead...maybe dancing lessons for the "slavaged" leg! And the other one too, of course!

    Prayers abound.

    Love,
    Nancy Kennell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Text me when you're conscious LOL!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara, you have been in my thoughts and prayers all week. I have so much empathy for you as you recover this week. I hope all is going well and that you'll be home very soon. I bet you're ready for a change in scenery.
    Lots of love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner