I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Ettiene De Grellet

Thursday, April 3, 2008

You Have Got to be Kidding!

I finally get to use my right leg and I am almost walking normal. I was so proud of my self I took each of my two basset hounds on a walk--up one side of the road/sidewalk and back down the other side. It was great fun and I wore the dogs out! I have those wonderful retractable leashes for each dog. I would let Gus or Gertie Mae run a head the length of the leash then I would call them back. Gus was more than excited to run back to me, Gertie on the other had is another story. So I would walk about 10 steps or the length of a yard/driveway and let Gus run ahead eventually he would find something interesting to smell and stop. After a proper smelling was done I would tug a little on the leash and call Gus's name. The good natured boy that he is excitedly bounded back to me tail a waggin' and his long ears a flapping. By the time we were on our home stretch Gus was one tired and happy pup!

Gertie Mae on the other hand caught on to my plan way too quickly! As the writers of Your Pure Breed Puppy state, "Basset Hounds are among the most easygoing of all breeds. Some are dignified and regal. Most are clownish. Almost all are reliably good-natured and peaceful...They are independent thinkers who don't particularly care about pleasing you. Most Basset Hounds are very stubborn." Gus is my clown. Gertie Mae is my princess! She will have none of this running to and fro stuff. Even though my trying to tire her out plan did not work she did have fun! Her tail does double time wagging and she does grin. Which is hard to explain to people unless they are looking at her--it was a grin no less!

So, because of all this walking and finally truly using my right leg I develop bursitis. "WHAT?" said in exclamation to the doctor! I suppose it makes sense--I haven't really utalized myt leg much and I do walk bow-legged (my left leg is very happy about that), with a bit of a limp and my right leg is a bit shorter. I knew my legs where not the same length, the MRSA made that difference a bit more significant. The difference in leg length plus an abnormal gait plus a lack of use of the leg thus the knee equals problems. I am on a the road to recovery w/some help from the great staff at Performance Physical Thearpy and the dreaded ice for icing. Keep your fingers crossed that all goes well and quickly!

More to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner