I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.
Ettiene De Grellet

Monday, December 10, 2007

Hurry up! & Wait!

As many of you knew I was suppose to have surgery on Thursday, November 29th. I went to the hospital at 12n without having eaten anything 8 hours prior (had oatmeal at 4am). I then proceeded to sit around for hours. At 3pm I was put in "my" room. I had wonderful prayer said from my FCCB minister asking for Divine assistance--that all needles would be very sharp.

Shortly there after the nurses started to try to get an IV line into me. (Did you note my word choice of started and try?) After a few failed attempts the nurses decided to warm my arms and veins up wrapping them in warm blankets. Every so often the nurses would check on the "progress" of my veins & adding more warm blankets as they felt necessary. It didn't take long before I was loaded down unable to move my arms. Ironically the one day I needed to be warm my body decided not to overheat.

A "special" nurse from the ER was called up to try and get an IV in me. Reportedly she had a special touch with what I am now referred to, "A hard stick." I got very worried when she said, "Well I guess this means I must go vein diving." I really wanted to take my arm away from her and say, "Only if you go first!" Unfortunately she had a better grip.

I am not sure the medical community realizes what they see as routine can be extremely horrifying to a patient. I found the ER nurse to be less than special. Instead she was highly painful.! A dear friend who was waiting with me commented on how she now understood my funny prayer request. She was amazed at how easy it was to become frustrated and apprehensive of needles after watching just one failed attempt. And she was only watching! I have a variety of lovely colored bruises and very tender skin patches to attest to quite a "few" failures--both arms and both sides.

Around 6pm a nurse came in with good news and bad news. The good news was that the nursing staff was not going to try and poke me any more. The bad news was that the surgery was postponed. In the same moment I was relieved and irritated but hunger pains out weighed all thoughts. Mom & Dad then took me out to dinner where we feasted. So, what ask you of the surgery....to be continued. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe Now: iheart

I heart FeedBurner